1 keep or maintain in unaltered condition; cause to remain or last; "preserve the peace in the family"; "continue the family tradition"; "Carry on the old traditions" [syn: continue, carry on, bear on, preserve] [ant: discontinue]
2 stand up for; stick up for; of causes, principles, or ideals
3 support against an opponent; "The appellate court upheld the verdict" [syn: maintain] [also: upheld]
- To support.
- 1748. David Hume. Enquiries concerning the human understanding
and concerning the principles of moral. London: Oxford University
Press, 1973. § 18.
- there was still a connexion upheld among the different ideas
- 1748. David Hume. Enquiries concerning the human understanding and concerning the principles of moral. London: Oxford University Press, 1973. § 18.
- Dutch: ondersteunen, staande houden
- Finnish: ylläpitää, pitää yllä
- Indonesian: menyangga, mendukung, menyokong, menjaga, melestarikan
- Italian: difendere (a right), sostenere (a principle), (law) confermare
- Japanese: 支持する (しじする, shiji-suru), 支える (ささえる, sasaeru), 保つ (たもつ, tamotsu)
- Portuguese: suportar
- Swedish: upprätthålla
OK, accept, admire, advocate, affirm, afford support, aid, allege in support, answer, approve, approve of, argue for, assert, assist, attest, authenticate, back, back up, backstop, bear, bear out, bear up, bless, bolster, bolster up, boost, brace, buoy, buoy up, buttress, carry, cast up, certify, champion, circumstantiate, confirm, conserve, contend for, copyright, corroborate, countenance, counter, cradle, crutch, cushion, defend, document, elevate, embrace, endorse, erect, escalate, espouse, esteem, favor, finance, float, float high, fortify, fund, give support, guard, heave, heft, heighten, heist, help, hike, hoick, hoist, hold, hold up, hold with, jerk up, justify, keep, keep afloat, keep alive, keep in countenance, keep intact, keep inviolate, keep safe, keep up, knock up, lend support, levitate, lift, lift up, lob, loft, mainstay, maintain, make a plea, not destroy, not endanger, not expend, not use up, not waste, patent, perk up, pick up, pillow, plead for, preserve, probate, promote, prop, prop up, protect, prove, raise, raise up, ratify, rear, rear up, rebut, refute, register, reinforce, reply, respect, respond, ride high, riposte, rise, sanction, save, say in defense, set up, shore, shore up, shoulder, side with, sky, spare, speak for, speak up for, stand by, stand up for, stay, stick up, stick up for, strengthen, subsidize, substantiate, subvention, subventionize, support, sustain, take kindly to, take up, think well of, throw up, underbrace, undergird, underlie, underpin, underset, up, upbear, upbuoy, upcast, upheave, uphoist, upkeep, uplift, upraise, uprear, upthrow, urge reasons for, validate, verify, view with favor, vindicate, waft, warrant